06 Feb ‘Sleep Safe, My Baby’ SIDS Facts for Parents
Six ways to sleep baby safely reduce the risk of sudden unexpected death in infancy:
1) Sleep baby on the back from birth, not on the tummy or side.
2) Sleep baby with head & face uncovered.
3) Keep baby smoke free before birth & after.
4) Provide a safe sleeping environment night & day.
5) Sleep baby in their own safe sleeping place in the same room as an adult care-giver for the first six to twelve months.
6) Breastfeed baby (where possible).
Safe sleeping environment night & day:
1) Choose a safe cot which meets Australian Standard AS2172.
2) Ensure a safe mattress which is firm, clean, flat & right size for cot.
3) Tuck blankets in firmly or use a safe baby sleeping bag.
4) Do not use a pillow, cot bumper, lamb’s wool, soft toy or doona in the cot day or night.