10 Sep New Recipe Idea! Remi’s Dahl! Recipe Here!
Remi attends in our Brennonooll room and loves eating Dhal, he wishes to share his mum’s recipe with you! Enjoy!
- 2 tbsp / 30 g ghee , or 1 tbsp oil + 1 tbsp/15g butter (Note 1)
- 2 green cayenne chillies , deseeded and cut into chunks (optional) (Note 2)
- 1 medium onion , finely chopped (brown or yellow)
- 6 garlic cloves , finely chopped
- 1 tbsp ginger , finely chopped (1.5cm / 3/5″)
- 8 fresh curry leaves , or 6 dried (Note 3)
- 1 tomato , chopped
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 cup dried chana dal , yellow split peas or other yellow lentils (Note 4 for other lentils)
- 4 cups / 1 litre water
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/8 tsp garam marsala
- 3/4 tsp salt
- Soak Lentils: Rinse lentils and leave to soak in plenty of water for 1 hour. Drain in colander.
- Heat ghee/oil in a heavy based saucepan over high heat. Add green chillies and fry for a minute until starting to blister.
- Add onions and fry until softened.
- Lower heat to medium, add garlic, ginger and curry leaves. Cook for 1 minute until garlic starts to turn golden and smells amazing.
- Add tomatoes and cumin, cook until tomatoes start to break down and thicken to a paste – about 2 minutes.
- Add lentils, water, tumeric and salt. Stir, bring to simmer, cover and simmer gently for 1 hour. Stir two or three times during the hour.
- Remove lid and simmer gently for 30 minutes to thicken, stirring every now and then. The dal is ready when it has a consistency like porridge – some lentils should be intact but some have broken down to thicken the sauce.
- Stir through garam masala at the end. Adjust salt if desired.
- Pour over Tadka, if using, and stir through.
- Serve Dal over rice, garnished with a sprig of coriander if desired.